Social Impact Theatre – Grant Application
Initial Application for Theatre Enrichment Grants
Initial applications are due on February 16, 2018 through the Foundation’s online portal.
To access the online portal, you must register your organization with a new account, or log in with your existing account. The grant system will utilize an email address as your log-in; all notifications about your grant will route to the email address you choose. Be sure to choose an email address that is monitored and can be used by anyone working on the grant application. You may watch the YouTube tutorial for more information on how to set up an online login.
Once logged in, select “Apply” found above “Applicant Dashboard.”
An applicant must be a nonprofit organization that:
- is domiciled in Alaska, California, Oregon, or Washington state with IRS-determined 501(c)(3) status
- has a mission to produce or present theatre, or a theatre program that is integral to the mission of a larger organization (performing arts center, educational institution, or other community agency)
- has a history of at least two consecutive years of bringing theatre to its community
- has annual revenue of at least $750,000 for the two most recently-completed fiscal years
Interested organizations may request funding for one production. From the pool of initial applications, select organizations will be invited to submit a full application. Social impact theatre grants can cover artistic, production, and overhead expenses. Specific grant amounts should not be requested; the Foundation will determine the award amount by considering multiple factors including production budget size, total potential audience, quality of the application, and alignment with one or more of the Biller Family Foundation’s focus areas.
At least 75% of the production’s cast must be professional actors. The production must have a plot and use language (spoken, sung, and/or signed). There must be at least ten fully-produced public performances of the production between June 1, 2018 and May 31, 2019. It is acceptable to apply for a production that has not yet been publicly announced. Please note that funds will need to be returned if the production does not come to fruition.
Social impact theatre grant opportunities are offered in two cycles each year; organizations may apply in both cycles. Organizations cannot receive more than one grant per calendar year, nor can they apply while in an active funding relationship with the Foundation.
January 22: Initial Application Released
January 30: Online Information Session, 3:00 – 4:30 p.m.
This is an opportunity to learn more about this grant and ask your questions!
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive dial-in instructions.
February 16: Initial Applications Due by 11:00 pm (PST)
March 16: Selected Organizations Invited to Submit a Full Application
April 13: Full Applications Due by 11:00 p.m. (PST)
By May 11: Recipients Announced
The following information will be requested:
- Legal Name of Organization and Tax ID Number
- Website and Organization Mailing Address
- Primary Contact for this Application: Name, Title, Phone Number, and Email Address
- Executive Officer Contact for the Organization (if not the primary contact for this application)
- Production Name: Name of production for which you are seeking funds. The production must be produced between June 1, 2018 and May 31, 2019.
- Summary: Provide a summary (two to three sentences) of the production.
- Synopsis: Provide a synopsis of the production’s plot and key themes.
- Number of Performances: Provide the total number of performances. If the number of performances has not been determined, an estimate is sufficient.
- Schedule: Briefly list the projected performance schedule.
- Audience at Performances: Provide the projected number of audience members for performances.
- Production Budget: Provide a production budget that includes engagement and outreach activities.
- Script Excerpt: Provide a 20-page excerpt of the script. Excerpt should contain a song or dialogue that exemplifies how the piece engages the audience around a particular issue.
- Context: Provide context for the script excerpt, noting which portion of the story is highlighted.
SOCIAL ISSUES AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
- Social Issue: What are the primary social issues addressed by the production? (Limited to three choices in drop-down list.)
- Audience Engagement: Briefly share how you will:
- promote conversations around these social issues
- welcome new and underrepresented audiences, and
- provide opportunities for relevant conversations before and after performances with all attendees
- Partnerships: Identify your key community partners for this production. We are most interested to hear about partnerships with other nonprofit organizations, arts and cultural partners, government agencies, and/or schools; we are not seeking information on in-kind donors, artistic staff, etc.
- Mission Statement: Please include your mission statement and, if available, include your vision statement and core values too.
- Geographic Region: Select the state in which your organization is domiciled. (AK, CA, OR, WA).
- Revenue: Provide annual revenue for most recently-completed fiscal year.
- Facebook Page (if active)
- Twitter Handle (if active)