COVID-19 Social Impact Theatre Innovation Awards FAQ
How will applications be evaluated?
Foundation staff will use the following priorities when evaluating applications:
- Diverse geography of theatres funded;
- Projects making or intended to make a social impact by utilizing the power of theatre to spark dialogue, bring different viewpoints together on challenging subjects, and provide a lens to process the critical issues of contemporary society. Further priority will be given to projects that can demonstrate how the project impacts the broader community;
- Theatres that are innovative in their approach and creatively using the resources available to them;
- And theatres that have been responsive to audience feedback and/or events happening in their community.
What are the eligibility requirements for the COVID-19 Social Impact Theatre Innovation Awards?
An applicant must be a nonprofit organization that:
- Is domiciled in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon, or Washington State with IRS-determined 501c3 status;
- Has a mission of bringing theatre to the community;
- Has remained engaged with audiences during COVID-19 by presenting content over the past year;
- And had an annual operating revenue of at least $1,000,000 in the most recent full fiscal year predating COVID-19.
An applicant must apply with a project or program that:
- Is being presented to or ultimately intended for external audiences/participants (i.e. not internal trainings, career development opportunities);
- Is currently underway or took place anytime since the start of COVID-19 (March 2020 – present)
What are examples of eligible projects?
Examples of eligible projects include performances (either virtual, outdoor, or on-stage), education programs, playwriting workshops, new work commissions, speaker series etc.
Will awards be designated to the project with which I apply?
No. Awards will be for general operating support, to be used however receiving theatres see fit.
My organization does not meet the annual revenue requirement; can we still apply?
Applicants must meet the annual revenue requirement. However, we encourage theatres that do not meet requirements on their own, to partner with theatres that do.
Can we apply under a fiscal sponsor?
No. We do not accept applications through fiscal sponsors.
How is this funding opportunity different from the Foundation’s traditional production-specific Social Impact Theatre grant cycle?
- This is a one time only opportunity;
- While our traditional Social Impact Theatre grant cycle funds live, on-stage performances, innovation awards will support theatres offering different projects and programs intended to make a social impact, including education programs, playwriting workshops, new work commissions, speaker series etc.;
- The application process for the innovation fund will feature a streamlined application, as opposed to an LOI and a full application that we require in our traditional Social Impact Theatre grant cycle;
- And no report will be required for innovation fund awards.
When will the Foundation resume its traditional production-specific Social Impact Theatre grant cycle?
Depending on COVID-19 restrictions, we hope to resume our traditional production-specific Social Impact Theatre grant cycle in late 2021.
Will receiving an innovation award impact my eligibility when traditional production-specific funding resumes?