Social Impact Theatre – Grant Application
LOI for Social Impact Theatre Grants
LOIs, or initial applications, are due on Friday, February 15, 2019 at 11:00 PM PST. Please apply through the Foundation’s online portal.
To access the online portal, you must register your organization with a new account, or log in with your existing account. The grant system will utilize an email address as your log-in; all notifications about your grant will route to the email address you choose. Be sure to choose an email address that is monitored and can be used by anyone working on the grant application. You may watch the YouTube tutorial for more information on how to set up an online login.
Once logged in, select “Apply” found above “Applicant Dashboard.”
Grant Process and Timeline
Interested organizations may request funding for one production. From this applicant pool, select organizations will be invited to submit a full application. Social impact theatre grants can cover artistic, production, and community engagement expenses. Specific grant amounts should not be requested; the Foundation will determine the award amount by considering multiple factors, including production budget size, total potential audience, quality of the production, and alignment with one or more of the Biller Family Foundation’s focus areas. Social impact theatre grant opportunities are offered in two cycles each year; organizations may apply in both cycles. Organizations cannot receive more than one grant per calendar year, nor can they apply while in an active funding relationship with the Foundation.
Tuesday, January 22, 2019: Initial Application/LOI Released
Wednesday, January 30, 2019: Online Information Session, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
This is an opportunity to learn more about this grant and ask your questions!
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive dial-in instructions.
Friday, February 15, 2019: LOIs Due by 11:00 pm (PST)
Tuesday, March 19, 2019: Selected Organizations Invited to Submit a Full Application
Friday, April 19, 2019: Full Applications Due by 11:00 p.m. (PST)
Tuesday, May 14, 2019: Recipients Announced
The Social Impact Theatre Grant Program offers funding for contemporary, professional, theatrical productions that deal with current social issues. At least 75% of the selected production’s cast must be professional actors. The production must have a plot and use language (spoken, sung, and/or signed). Dance, opera, symphony, and touring Broadway productions are not eligible for funding. We seek to promote productions that are new works or no more than 100 years old. To be eligible for consideration, scripts should be completed at the time of your application. There must be at least ten fully-produced public performances of the production. Due to the application timeline, productions should premiere between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020.
An applicant must be a nonprofit organization:
- domiciled in Alaska, California, Oregon, or Washington state with IRS-determined 501(c)(3) status
- whose only mission is to produce and present theatre
- with a history of at least two consecutive years of bringing theatre to its community
- with annual revenue of at least $750,000 for the two most recently-completed fiscal years
The following information will be requested:
- Legal Name of Organization and Tax ID Number
- Website and Organization Mailing Address
- Primary Contact for this Application: Name, Title, Phone Number, and Email Address
- Executive Officer Contact for the Organization (if not the primary contact for this application)
- Production Name: Name of production for which you are seeking funds.
- Summary: Provide a summary (two to three sentences) of the production.
- Synopsis: Provide a synopsis of the production’s plot and key themes.
- Schedule: Briefly list the projected performance schedule.
- Professional Actors: Are 75% of actors in the production professional (i.e. paid for their work)? Y/N
- Stage: Will performances take place on a professional stage? Y/N
- Script: Is the script for this production complete? Y/N
- Age of Production: Was this piece written within the last 100 years? Y/N
- Number of Performances: Provide the total number of performances. If the number of performances has not been determined, an estimate is sufficient.
- Seating Capacity: What is the seating capacity of the theatre for the show?
- Audience at Performances: Provide the total projected number of audience members for performances.
- Script Excerpt: Provide a 20-page excerpt of the script. Excerpt should contain a song or dialogue that exemplifies how the piece engages the audience around a particular issue.
- Context: Provide context for the script exerpt, noting which portion of the story is highlighted.
- Production Budget: Provide a production budget that includes engagement and outreach activities.
SOCIAL ISSUES AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
- Social Issue: What are the primary social issues addressed by the production? (Limited to three choices)
- Audience Engagement: Briefly share how you will:
- promote conversations around these social issues
- welcome new and underrepresented audiences, and
- provide opportunities for relevant conversations before and after performances with all attendees
- Partnerships: Identify your key community partners for this production. We are most interested to hear about partnerships with other nonprofit and community organizations, arts and cultural partners, and government agencies. We encourage you to think outside the box and to consider all pertinent perspectives of the production’s social issue (s). Partnerships with schools and universities should be included, however please note that we tend to give more consideration to other forms of partnerships, especially those made outside the arts community.
- Mission Statement: Please include your mission statement and, if available, include your vision statement and core values.
- Geographic Region: Select the state in which your organization is domiciled. (AK, CA, OR, WA).
- Revenue: Provide annual revenue for most recently-completed fiscal year.
- Facebook Page (if active)
- Twitter Handle (if active)